Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Let the Good Times Begin (29 Feb 08)

My fiancé Jamie and I are on the first leg of our winter ’08 Yellowstone adventure. Last night (28 Feb) we stayed at the historic Plains Hotel in Cheyenne in hopes of resting up for what I know will be a week full of exciting travels. The Plains provided just that. A first-rate stay in a truly historic structure. The view was from our fourth floor “King Suite” directly facing the recently renovated Cheyenne Train Depot. It was perfect!
Let me make a suggestion. Visit the Plains Hotel. The history, service, and amenities will not disappoint!
We checked out of the Plains at 0930 and headed north to Jackson Hole. I must tell you we stopped at every exit between Cheyenne and Casper (188 miles). Jamie wasn’t feeling the best so we took our time getting to Jackson.
I’ve always been fascinated with a little destination in Wyoming known as “Hell’s Half Acre.” I made sure Jamie and I stopped for a photo of what I consider a natural wonder of the world. It’s where Hollywood filmmakers chose to shoot a lot of the movie “Starship Troopers.” The sight, located between Casper and Shoshoni, was amazing but due to the high winds and the fact we wanted to see the Grand Tetons at sunset we couldn’t stay very long.

At Dubois, Wyoming, Jamie spotted several bighorn sheep. We pulled over to get a better look and that’s when we found out we failed to pack the binoculars. I have a feeling this won’t be the last thing we forgot to pack. All toll in Dubois, we saw nine bighorn sheep.

Despite several planned and unplanned stops along the way, our timing was perfect. We arrived at the Grand Tetons just prior to sunset. The roads were plowed for travel but the pull-offs…not so much. But thanks to four-wheel drive we managed to pull onto the shoulder a good bit and watch the day end. After soaking in the sunset I figured out why they are known as the Grand Tetons versus just the Tetons. Fact is they are GRAND.

I called a good friend and Jackson resident, Cody Brinton, asking his recommendation for local sightseeing. He said the National Elk Refuge is a must. We had just enough light to see a herd of elk feeding near the road. The size of the herd was unreal. After counting, we figured it was 8,600 head. Okay, maybe we didn’t count them but we were told by managers the herd on the refuge was in fact 8,600! Can you even picture that? If you don’t believe me I can’t blame you. Do me a favor, visit the National Elk Refuge and see it firsthand.

Well, tomorrow Cody Brinton is going to take us on a VIP tour of Jackson, Grand Teton National Park and the refuge. He claims watching the sunrise over the Grand Tetons is as spectacular as seeing the sunset. We can’t wait! O yeah, and we have to be at Flagg Ranch to catch the Xanterra Snow Coach into Yellowstone at 1230.

Forever West
Jeremy