Friday, May 22, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend, Here We Come

My summer rodeo run is merely three weeks away and there’s no better way to clear my mind and finish prepping for a grueling schedule than to travel Wyoming. Highlights of the trail will include the College Nationals Finals (Casper, WY), Cheyenne Frontier Days (Cheyenne, WY) and the Santa Barbara (CA) stop of the PBR tour.

But today, Jamie and I are off to the northeast corner of Wyoming in search of Devils Tower National Monument, the first national monument in the USA!

Since starting the Blogging Bullfighter, I have wanted to visit Devils Tower and capture my experience in words. However, don’t merely take my word for it, get out and experience Wyoming yourself.

Thanks to Matt and Kathi Driskill of Devils Tower KOA Campground this trip has become a reality.

We left Cheyenne at 1pm yesterday and began the easy 300-mile trip to Devils Tower. I bet we counted over 500 Antelope between Cheyenne and Gillette.

In my eight years living in Wyoming, I have never been east of Gillette. To my surprise, the plains faded in the background as we entered plush, green, rolling hills and acre upon acre covered with towering pine trees. We spotted at least fifteen turkeys and a dozen mule deer. You gotta love that.

The GPS showed 20 miles remaining and it was nearing 7pm. W were making good time despite three pit stops along the way to include a FedEx drop box. You want to talk about fun, try pulling a 33-foot fifth wheel through a FedEx drive-in.

Out of nowhere Devils Tower appeared! I have heard others remarks regarding the same thing but until that moment I didn’t fully understand what they meant. The hills roll, a deep red-rock canyon is winds its way along the roadside, and then “BAM” a massive neck of chiseled rock towering to the sky.

It’s obvious we have arrived. Our home for the next several days is at the beautiful Devils Tower KOA Campground at the base of the national monument. I’m positive I will scout things out and report my findings.

Hey, do yourself a favor. Get off the internet, pack up the vehicle and travel Wyoming…you won’t regret it!

Forever West,
Jeremy