Friday, July 3, 2009

Wyoming Tourism is Alive and Well

Of all of the places I have been there is no place I’d rather be than Wyoming. As you know it’s the Fourth of July and we are headed to Devils Tower, Wyoming!

In route from Cheyenne, Jamie and I passed more travelers than normal and enjoyed playing the license plate game. You know the one where you try to identify a plate from each state? Well, I’m starting to think folks from all 50 states and Canada are headed to Devils Tower.


Around Wright, WY the weather turned dark and a rainstorm moved in. We managed to miss the heart of the storm but did experience some rain and wind. By the time we arrived at Wright it was time to stretch our legs and walk our dog. While there, locals told us we just missed a tornado and softball size hail.

Nonetheless, we were thankful we snuck by the storm and arrived at Devils Tower KOA as scheduled.

July is commonly referred to as “Cowboy Christmas” since numerous major rodeos are kicked off near the 4th of July. Wyoming plays host to a few of the best. Cody, Cheyenne, Casper and Sheridan all have July rodeos.

For 10 years now, rodeo has been the focus of my summers. This year however, I’ve decided to take the Fourth off and spend time with my family and take care of a little unfinished business. If you recall my last Devils Tower blog, I said Jamie and I were going to climb the tower with Frank Sanders, owner and operator of Devils Tower Climbing. Well, time has come to put my money where my mouth is.

I will still fight bulls at 10-12 rodeo performances this month but I’m relaxing this weekend. My parents drove in from Arkansas to spend the holiday with Jamie and me and there’s no better place to camp than Devils Tower KOA.

I’ve heard there is a big July 4th celebration at the campground so we’re here for the party and I will keep you informed.

Forever West
Jeremy