Monday, August 6, 2007

A Quarter for Your Thoughts


It has been a busy few weeks for my rodeo travels. I am currently in California waiting on laundry! As you know, I performed at Cheyenne Frontier Days last week. Well this week I flew to Santa Barbara, CA for a Professional Bull Riders (PBR) event followed by a ProRodeo event. The weather in California has been beautiful and it made for great outdoor rodeo.

The Airmen stationed at nearby Vandenberg Air Force Base volunteered to help put on the event. I ran into a couple of my Air Force buddies that I had not seen in a few years so that was a nice treat. The Santa Barbara rodeo committee went out of there way to involve the Armed Forces. Along side me, the Marine Corps Mounted Honor Guard and the Air Force Choir were on hand to perform military honors. Please take a moment and remember our deployed Americans; for we are still at war.

Confidence is key in rodeo...I've always felt that when I think positive and feel good about myself, it is reflected in my bullfighting. I grew up listening to tapes recorded by World Champion Bull Rider Gary Lefew which discussed the power of the mind. I always try to think positive and it showed during this event. Gary was even on hand at the event! Visiting with him certainly took me back to my younger years when I would literally spend hours listening to his rodeo success stories that he contributed to positive thinking. Many miles have been traveled with Chris LeDoux and Gary Lefew tapes. All of which are now committed to memory!

The PBR all-stars were in California! It was a line-up featuring Chris Shivers, Luke Snyder, Greg Potter, Guliherme Marchi, Ednei Caminhas and many more...I fought bulls really well and praise God for that. Luke Snyder drew a pretty mean bull and ended up in a tight spot but I was able to go 'up and over' the bull’s head to allow Luke that moment of freedom to break for safety. It sure put a little hitch in my get-along! I've always said, the one thing that I love about fighting bulls is helping my buddies out...it's a priceless feeling knowing you did your best to keep them safe.

On a different note, California is suffering from one of their largest wildfires since the early 90's and the rodeo ground is just a few miles away from the wildfire. Thursday I experienced something like never before…the winds shifted westward, right in our direction...the enormous winds blew ashes all over the crowd and onto the contestants. It was to the point ash covered vehicles and windshields in a matter of minutes. If memory serves me right, this fire has claimed over 6,000 acres.

After the rodeo, the committee invited me back for the 08 & 09 rodeos. So look out CA, I'm coming back! My mentor and champion bullfighter, Donny Sparks, told me along time ago you can measure your success based on the fact if you were hired back to an event. He said, anybody can work a rodeo once, but getting it year after year separates the men from the boys. I often think back to that...

Well, I’m on my way to catch a flight back to Denver. I won't be in town long...just long enough to get my rig and head to Yuma, CO. I'll be there Tuesday and Wednesday for their ProRodeo event and then on to Sterling, CO Thursday and Friday. I'll be sure to keep you posted.

One last thing! The Wyoming State Quarter was unveiled today, however, the official launch and ceremony is not scheduled until 10 AM, September 14 at the Cheyenne Civic Center. If you would like to learn more about the Wyoming Quarter, including the commemorative card, visit: http://wyospcr.state.wy.us/ God Bless Wyoming!
Forever West,
Jeremy