Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Protecting the Best

The last time I wrote I was sitting in the Sterling, CO, Burger King...
It's been a long 23 days. Over the last 3 weeks I have performed in 18 rodeo performances, traveling from New York to California. This has been one of the best rodeo runs I can remember with my favorite stop being at the Daddy of 'Em All, Cheyenne (Wyo) Frontier Days. I am happy to inform you I am still in one piece, safe and sound in my own home! During those 18 performances I faced off with over 550 bulls. When I look at the odds I consider myself very blessed to be healthy, (not so) wealthy and (not so) wise!

The pro rodeo in Sterling, CO, was a nice event featuring some of our top circuit cowboys. It was a hot week for rodeo but the fans sure didn't mind as they saw first hand the grit and determination cowboys show when trying to win the big money.

Unfortunately, on Friday night the winning bull rider also received a ride to the ER after his spur became hung in the bulls flank strap and he was violently slammed to the ground. As a bullfighter, this is a very bad situation. The rider is drug helplessly by his spur and the tighter that strap becomes on the spur, the harder it is to free them. I was able to grab the rider's leg and help pull him to freedom. However, right before I freed his leg, the bull bucked and the rider was slammed to the ground. In every bad situation, there is good news if we choose to find it. For him, it was the fact that he was freed quickly and avoided being stepped on or gored by the bull. This was the first time that I have seen someone lay helpless on the arena dirt for such a long period of time without moving. Had I been a betting man, I would have left that night thinking he encountered a life threatening or career ending wreck.

After the rodeo, I cleaned up and headed to the ER to check on him. Praise God that he was fine and suffered no major injuries. I was able to visit with his parents and learn the good news that he was in good shape considering the accident. Rodeo is a brutal game at times...the saying is "It's not IF you get hurt, but WHEN." Although rodeo can be a dangerous sport once a person is bit with the rodeo bug, they have it for life and will stop short of dying to pursue gold buckle dreams. Rodeo is full of great people and great times which make for memories that will last a lifetime.

I wrote several weeks ago that I would be on a rodeo run that would be similar to eating an elephant and I would get it done one "bite" at a time. Well I can honestly say, I have conquered the task and it is good to be back home in Wyoming.

Forever West,
Jeremy