Monday, June 2, 2008

My $20 getaway


I have always heard kidney stones can be brutal. I found out they are the hard way! I knew for several weeks that I had multiple stones in each kidney but it wasn’t until 14 May that I could get in the Cheyenne Regional Medical Center to take care of the stones via the “outpatient” procedure known as Shock Wave Lithotripsy.

I booked 14 May as my surgery date because that would give me a week and a half to recover and I could continue my rodeo schedule uninterrupted.

Cheyenne Urological Center Dr. Lugg performed the “routine” procedure. Knowing that my rodeo schedule was full for quite some time, he asked if I would be willing to have both kidneys done at the same time…should it look doable. I agreed.

Well, to make a long story short, after a seven-day stay in the hospital, a visit to the ER and two nights in the ICU the moral of the story is: only have one kidney blasted at a time.

I’ve been well overdue some R&R. My strength is coming back since my procedure and after all, 31 May was my birthday! My fiancĂ©e Jamie gave me a BassRaider fishing boat for my birthday and I couldn’t wait to get it in the water. Jamie is not much for being on water but since it was my big day she agreed to go. With a little help from Mr. Dramamine.

Curt Gowdy State Park is merely 25 miles from Cheyenne and with the increasing fuel prices a real affordable trip if you live in southeast Wyoming. There are various activities offered outside of the main attractions of Crystal and Granite Reservoirs. Outstanding mountain bike trails are scattered throughout the park. Camping, biking, archery targets, hiking and of course fishing are just some of the activities that highlight Curt Gowdy.

Jamie and I picked a stream in Granite Reservoir, west of the main road to put in my new boat. The water was calmer and that was a big plus for Jamie. We trolled all the way to the end of the stream, fishing along the way. Doesn’t it just break your heart when the fish are jumping all around you and you don’t have the bait they are hitting? Well that was the case. The scenery was so pretty that at times instead of fishing we simply gazed at the sites - large red rock hills, timber, and clear blue water abound.

After two hours or so, and no fish to show for it, a small rain cloud developed and the temperature dropped. That was Jamie’s sign to call it a day. Being the good woman she is, she decided to sit in the truck and let me try my luck in Crystal Reservoir…and being the good man that I am, I took her up on that idea.

It is only a five-mile drive from Granite to Crystal. I knew exactly where I wanted to put in - Medicine Bow Point. This area is only accessible by foot and small boats. I have just the boat for getting there now. I trolled into position where I thought the fish would be but again they were jumping out of the water all around me and I couldn’t catch them.

I drifted downstream where the water tapered to 3-5 feet and finally I was able to catch two small rainbow trout. The people who had hiked in were catching their limits. Curiosity got the best of me and I had to ask what bait they were using. “Worms and Eggs,” said one lady. The two things that I didn’t have in my tackle box!

I can promise you I will be back. Curt Gowdy State Park is a wonderful day, weekend, or even week-long trip. You should put it on your “To Do List” for summer 2008.

Happy Casting,

Jeremy