Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Yellowstone or Bust!

Chris LeDoux’s song “Photo Finish” starts out:

“At seven this morning I got on the phone and said to hold my bronc as long as you can….”

Well my day was pretty similar yesterday. At seven in the morning I got on the phone and asked my good friend from the Cody Stampede committee, Tim Mahieu, if we could park our camper at his place in Cody, Wyoming.

Our “Big Day” is getting near, June 28th to be exact, and we are on our way to Hayden Valley. Before we drive into Yellowstone we need to take care of a few last minute details in Cody…flowers, etc.

Jamie and I decided to take our time getting into town and enjoy some of the sights along the way. Believe it or not, I’ve been through Thermopolis, Wyoming, multiple times but have never stopped to see the natural, mineral hot springs. Today I made it a point to stop. Thermopolis is home to the world’s largest natural hot springs. It is a must see. The Best Western and Holiday Inn are located in the park so it makes for a very convenient layover.

We shared a long walk taking in all the sights and natural wonders at the park. Be sure to bring a swimsuit and have a soak.

After leaving Thermopolis it was off to the Wind River Canyon - another amazing Wyoming sight. The Wind River Canyon area is perhaps one of the most scenic stretches of highway in Wyoming. It features mile-high cliffs, tunnels, never ending rapids, outstanding fly fishing and so much more. Although we didn’t have all day, we did make time for a short walk along the river. Several species of butterflies in various sizes and colors were prominent along the river today - small, medium and large ranging in colors from yellow to black and even some purple.

It was back to the truck and time to put the white lines beside us in search of Cody.
We made it to Tim’s just in time for supper! On the menu was Wyoming raised Buffalo. My o my, I bet I ate a 25oz of buffalo steak all by myself.

The plan is to be in Yellowstone National Park by 2pm today. I’ll be camping at Fishing Bridge several nights before moving into Old Faithful Inn. I hope you stay close to your computer and follow our trip through the most beautiful place on earth!

Forever West,
Jeremy