Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Bullfighter in Yellowstone June 5th


Please let me start by sending my sincere thoughts and prayers to the Senator Craig Thomas family. Wyoming U.S. Senator Craig Thomas has passed away after a hard-fought battle with leukemia. It was a great, and lasting, pleasure for me to meet Senator Thomas in 2005 on the very day he sponsored the National Day of The Cowboy. He was a great ambassador for Wyoming and cowboys alike.

Today my plan was to mountain bike into the Mud Volcano area and visit one of my favorite locations in Yellowstone, Dragon Mouth. Yesterday I wrote it would be an 18- mile ride. I was pretty close! Turns out, it is 16 miles from my campsite.

My family and I enjoyed breakfast outside this morning. The air in Yellowstone has to be the purest in the world so being outside is a delight no matter what time of day. There was a note on my camper this morning from the Xanterra Marketing Director, Rick Hoeninghausen, informing me I was to be their guest at various activities in the park including a meal at the famous Lake Hotel Restaurant.

Before heading out on my trek I visited the activities desk located at Fishing Bridge in order to set my itinerary for the next few days. I must say the staff in Yellowstone is the friendliest and most helpful I have experienced anywhere during my rodeo travels.
I left with a full lineup anyone would be excited to take part in. I know you will enjoy reading about each activity as they are posted.

Well my bag was packed. I traveled with a liter of water and a few snacks but in Yellowstone a camera is as essential as water so that was packed as well! I was on the road at 10:30am headed north to Dragon Mouth. It was a challenge made easier by well- wishers passing by in vehicles. The road is curvy making its way up and down the mountainside. I passed a small herd of buffalo and even took a picture as I passed by on my bike. I don't encourage this. It was almost as much of a spectacle as the buffalo themselves! Despite the difficulty level of cycling at this altitude it was a great trip. The air is so smooth and the scenery so beautiful I found myself not knowing I was cycling at 10K feet.

Upon arriving at Dragon Mouth there were two buffalo taking in the scenery as well! This was a great photo opportunity and I hope you enjoy the photo. I didn't stay long. There was more in store for today’s Yellowstone adventure.

In route back to the campsite I made two stops. First, for more buffalo standing in my path home. Next I would take a dirt trail leading me to Le Hardy Rapids. These rapids are the last rapids for 16 miles as one travels north into Canyon Village. If you know me, you know I couldn't resist walking into the water using the rocks which nature had strategically placed in the Yellowstone River. I made it out as dry as I entered the rapids! However, to my surprise I would now have to carry my mountain bike up 84 stair steps in order to return to the main road. It was worth it...trust me!
Well I didn't make it to Otter Creek today but I have something better in store! On Thursday Xanterra is proving me a guided fly fishing trip and I can't wait! I hope the guide knows it won't be my fault if I don't catch supper!

Since I didn't go to Otter Creek, I had a little time to take a trail ride from the Mammoth Country area. I arrived an hour early to enjoy Mammoth Hot Springs and eat a bite. Much to my disappointment rain and lightning canceled the ride. But don't you worry, Yellowstone is so vast and there is so much to see this was no inconvenience. My parents and I decided to head south into Hayden Valley to search out wildlife. Hayden Valley is home to many of the park’s buffalo. We were able to see approximately 400 as we traveled the area. There was even a traffic jam caused by a dozen buffalo posing for their photo!

If you are a fish lover you must visit the actual Fishing Bridge. Today I took an easy mile walk to look for trout. It is there one can see trout spawning in large schools. The water is crystal clear and I was able to see the bottom with the naked eye. I spotted a school of two dozen large trout. I just hope they make their way to my fly fishing adventure on Thursday!

Tomorrow I plan to hike the backcountry...with or without a guide. I'm not sure which trail I will tackle but I will be sure to report my findings. Let’s just hope I make it through the Grizzly Country in order to report such information!

Forever West

Jeremy