Monday, June 25, 2007

Bullfighter in Saratoga June 25th

Soaking in Saratoga

Summer has arrived and there are only two ways I like to spend it: rodeoing and experiencing Wyoming.

I'm still a little sore from the "hookings" I took while fighting bulls at the College National Finals so I opted out of the arena this weekend. I have several big events in the very near future and I have to be 100%. When you talk about big events, Cheyenne Frontier Days automatically comes to mind. Cheyenne is my favorite rodeo in the world and this year will mark the sixth year for me to fight bulls there. Be sure to attend if at all possible. Visit www.cfdrodeo.com for more information.

After deciding to stay out of competition this weekend, I grabbed my Wyoming map and searched for another amazing Wyoming destination to travel to and camp. I have heard a lot about Saratoga, Wyoming, and its natural hot springs. It's only a two-hour drive from Cheyenne, making it the perfect distance for a weekend trip.

Medicine Bow National Forest and the surrounding towns offer numerous campsites so I didn't bother with making a reservation. After lunch on Friday, I loaded my camper and headed west. The road I would suggest to travel is Wyoming Scenic Highway 130 also known as Snowy Range Road. It is a beautiful drive through the heart of the Medicine Bow National Forest. The forest is highlighted with pine covered mountains, lakes, streams and even a huge rock cliff. You must take time to stop at Lake Marie. It is an amazing view.

When I arrived in Saratoga, I was able to rent the very last campsite in the Deer Haven Campground. My site was directly on the North Platte River. Seriously, only 10 steps from my camper door! I made camp and met my neighbors while gathering my fishing supplies. One neat thing about traveling and camping is the people you meet. Wyoming tourists are perhaps the friendliest in the world. I attribute that to the fact that when tourists are in Wyoming they are here to see the amazing sights and learn as much as they can about the area they are experiencing. What better way to learn than talking and sharing adventures?

I grabbed my gear and cast my line out of my backyard. I’d tell you I fished but that would insinuate I caught one. After trying my luck in the river it was time for supper. I grilled a steak and my neighbors and I shared a picnic table and enjoyed the view of the North Platte River. The North Platte flows approximately 5mph while traveling through the Deer Haven Campground. While eating, we saw various species of ducks and birds as well as a mule deer grazing.


As night fell I made my way to the Saratoga Hot Springs. Saratoga's population is just over 1200 but visitors are drawn here for the famous soaking springs. This is a real treat! The water in the North Platte is crystal clear, including where the hot springs are located. A rock border forms a circle in the middle of the river which helps retain the hot waters where one can soak. It is so relaxing to sit in the clear waters and become one with nature. While soaking, a mallard duck flew past me merely 5 feet away. Twenty yards down stream a mule deer doe and her fawn were grazing in the knee high grass. Another great thing about these springs...they are free!

Saturday morning I tried my luck fishing again. I'm starting to think that I'm not that great of a fisherman. You know it's bad when you can see the fish swimming by your hook and you still can't catch one!

Riverside and Encampment, Wyoming are only 20 miles from Saratoga. My dog, Ace, and I took a short road trip to the Riverside visitor center where I learned about the Indian Pools located nearby. Indian Pools is an easy trek for any age person and a sight worth seeing. Walking through the sagebrush country with a mountain range in sight is priceless. The trail travels across Cotton Tree Creek and then up to several large granite mounds. You have to climb the mounds to see the pools. The Indians occupying the land used these pools for bathing as they held rainfall and run-off waters. My mind was made up, if any of the pools held water, I was getting in! Unfortunately only one pool had water and that water was only ankle deep.

I also visited Encampment, Wyoming. Be sure to take a free tour of the museum and ask to see the various buildings located on the museum grounds. A couple of the neat experiences I had was climbing the fire tower which was used to spot fires in the early 1900s and climbing to the top of a two-story outhouse. Snowfall would accumulate so high, there was a need to build a taller outhouse for winter use. How many times can you say you've even seen a two-story outhouse?

Saratoga is a great weekend or even day trip from the Cheyenne area and Northern Colorado. When you visit the area be sure to experience the North Platte River in Saratoga, Lake Hot Springs and the
Grand Encampment Museum. Wyoming has so much to offer. If you are sitting at home on the weekends do me a favor: find a Wyoming map and pick your destination for a nice weekend getaway.


Forever West,

Jeremy