Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Bullfighter in Yellowstone June 4th

Yellowstone is so amazing there is no sleeping in! We were up and at 'em by 7am. I had a few chores to do around the campsite and you know a cowboy can fix anything with baling wire and duct tape! Well today was no exception. I found a half roll of duct tape at the main office and within 5 minutes had the job done. It was a dirty job and I will leave it at that!

I promised you yesterday I would return to Old Faithful...and yes I kept my word.

This morning after my chores, I thought about going on a 1/2 day fishing trip to one or more of the many streams/rivers Yellowstone offers. I needed to put a new fly reel on my rod and get some flies tied. Currently, Yellowstone is only open to flyfishing. We ate breakfast outside while I gathered my fishing gear.

But before I could do anything I needed to hit the weight room.

Xanterra opened up the faculty recreation hall for my private workout. I really appreciated their kindness as I really needed to focus my physical and mental energies on the nearing College National Finals Rodeo. I was in the gym by 10am to accomplish this feat. However, on the way to the gym I spotted a grizzly and her two cubs. I was the only one there with the bears for 5 minutes. But wouldn't you know, in no time at all over 200 cars were in line to see these powerful animals grazing and playing.


My workout room was facing Yellowstone Lake with a huge window facing it. During my time there I was able to watch two buffalo and view the lake and surrounding mountains as I hit the weights. Tell me, where else but Wyoming and Yellowstone can you see this?
On my way home I grabbed a sandwich and found a place to relax on Lake Yellowstone. The view is mesmerizing. You really must see how dynamic Lake Yellowstone is. Lake Yellowstone Hotel maintains a deck with seating. It was there I ate in peace and solitude.
I had my fishing gear with me and was in mind of fishing Otter Creek. On my way there, I spotted another grizzly along the roadside. You can't pass them by! So I stopped and took in more unbelievable wildlife of the park. It was nearing 2pm and I didn't know if I had enough time to fish.


Ultimately, I returned to my campsite and picked up my Mom so we could trek to Old Faithful. Our timing was perfect! Old Faithful erupted 5 minutes after we were in place. It was 70 degrees with a slight drizzle. Old Faithful is Yellowstone’s most predictable geyser, erupting every 90-93 minutes. There is a large viewing area complete with bleachers for the viewing public, but I stood as I didn't want anything obstructing my view. She steamed for several minutes leading up a great outburst of water which towered high into the sky.
Seeing Old Faithful erupt really excited my soul and I found myself cheering as she went off! I'm positive I will return again this week.


Tomorrow, my goal is to mountain bike to Dragon’s Mouth (refer to day 1 blog for more information on Dragon’s Mouth). After returning to camp, I will attempt to catch supper for the family! Wish me luck in both endeavors. The bike ride will be 18 miles. However, 18 miles at 10K feet is no short distance.

Forever West

Jeremy