Thursday, June 7, 2007

Bullfighter in Yellowstone June 6th


Xanterra is simply amazing! I can't thank them enough for setting my daily itinerary. Each day is filled with explorations that would make Lewis and Clark jealous and today was no exception!
Weather in Yellowstone has been exceptional since I arrived. We have experienced highs in the 70s with sunshine, rainbows, pure white clouds and the whole nine yards. Forecasters predicted last night we might get some rain and snow today. I was scheduled to go backcountry hiking with a trail guide this morning at 7 am. My enthusiasm for exploring Yellowstone did not waiver with the weather change.


Breakfast was ready at 6:20 am. I ate on the run as I didn't want to risk not meeting my guide. Rain was at a drizzle and there was some lightning nearby. I dressed warm and even donned a slicker suit to help beat the near 40 degree weather. When I arrived at the Fishing Bridge activities desk, Mrs. Jackson asked if I was going to take the hike. I replied, "Well I'm not all dressed up to play ping-pong!" This is Yellowstone - rain, snow, sleet nor hail can’t keep me contained. Despite my zeal to hike the backcountry we were unable to trek in the lightning for safety reasons.

Xanterra chartered a brand new watercraft for me to see Yellowstone Lake in a once-in- a-lifetime fashion. When the storm passed I boarded the Otter, a brand new watercraft with less than 10 hours on it. My Xanterra guide, Mark, was eager to show me the back- country wilderness which is only accessible via boat. At times Mark and I were the only people on the 140-square-mile lake. Other times we were one of three vessels. Lake Yellowstone is paradise and I highly recommend taking a watercraft tour of Lake Yellowstone when you visit. The lake features islands, wildlife, mountain scenery and breathtakingly clear water.

When we departed I informed Mark I really wanted to see a bald eagle to top off my wildlife sightseeing experiences. Prior to today I have seen bear, elk, wolves, moose, bison and trout. Within thirty minutes I spotted a gorgeous eagle atop a tall pine tree which stood on Stevenson Island. It was a grand sight. We stopped the boat and enjoyed watching the symbol of American Freedom in the most amazing setting in the world - Yellowstone, Wyoming.

From there we headed to a nearby National Park Service boat and watched them execute their mission of managing the native trout population. The non-native lake trout have contributed to taking the native cutthroat, graylings and mountain whitefish population down 90 percent in the last 10 years. The park service spends time and resources ensuring the native species are protected as much as possible in their natural environment. Fishing the lake trout is highly encouraged. I hope to do my part tomorrow!

The clouds were low today and hung just above the snow-capped mountains. I can't adequately describe the beauty of such low and dark clouds with mountains still prevailing to shimmer through. The weather conditions were a perfect fit for creating enormous steam in the geysers that surround the lake. From the middle of Lake Yellowstone the geysers were very evident and none more so than the Steamboat Geyser area.

Mark granted me the opportunity to eat lunch while docked at Wolf Bay, a splendid sight with crystal clear waters. Lake Yellowstone depths reach 340 plus feet. However, the dock at Wolf Bay is 10 feet. The water there is so clear I was able to count rock on the lake bed!


I had packed an MRE (meal ready to eat) for lunch. After eating lunch we exited the Otter and hiked through the terrain of Wolf Bay. The weather was still cold and rain was at a drizzle but that did not keep us from hiking a little piece of the Yellowstone wilderness. The land we explored is so remote not even a fraction of one percent of Yellowstone tourists will ever set foot on it. There were fresh signs of elk all around us. It was a paradise for not only man but all of God’s creation. As I walked to the opposite end of Wolf Bay and approached the waters of Lake Yellowstone, I was so moved by its splendor and beauty all I could do was thank God for allowing me to see his creation. My next trip to Yellowstone I will camp in the wilderness of Wolf Bay. It is that amazing!

In route back to the marina Mark pointed out a flock of golden eye ducks in numbers exceeding 200. They’re a beautiful bird with a golden ring encompassing their eye...hence their name.
This evening my intention was to hike the southern rim of Yellowstone Canyon; alone. The trailhead I set out to conquer allows one to get a close view of both the Upper and Lower Falls. Weather was getting worse and time was running short. Temperatures were dipping into the 30s. I was determined to explore the canyon. In route to the trailhead I spotted two more bald eagles on the Yellowstone River. I stood five feet from a grey wolf and came close to two nice bull elk, which were still in velvet. I could not pass up such photo opportunities! However, in doing so, night fell and my goal of hiking the canyon will have to wait until tomorrow.


Xanterra is sending me on a guided fly fishing trip tomorrow. From there I will attempt to hike the south rim of Yellowstone Canyon. To top off a dream come true day, my family and I will dine at the famous Yellowstone Lake Restaurant which faces the grandest lake I have ever encountered.

Yellowstone is my favorite destination in the world...and yes, I have been to many other countries. Everything is here. Perhaps this is where the saying "God’s Country" originated - for it is truly an inspiring place.

Forever West

Jeremy