Friday, June 8, 2007

Bullfighter in Yellowstone June 7th

My time in Yellowstone is over. I am thankful to Wyoming Tourism, Yellowstone, and Xanterra for allowing me this once in a lifetime experience. Yellowstone has been the best trip of my life. I will reframe from summarizing Yellowstone '07 in this blog and focus on today's adventures.
However, stay tuned and I will submit a summary in the very near future.


Soon after I submitted my blog last night, snow fell throughout the park and temperatures dipped into the low 30s. The family and I decided to patrol for wildlife as I did see two additional wolves in route to type yesterday’s blog. The weather change really put the wildlife on the prowl. While riding the main roads of Yellowstone we traveled through Hayden Valley. Buffalo are king in the valley and last night they were grazing in herds exceeding 300. We were able to get close-up photos of a few white wolves too! Along the Yellowstone River we saw two of these amazing predators at 10 feet in distance. Night fell, but before it was too dark for one to see, I spotted a black bear climbing a hill leading back to the forest. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a photo but it was exciting to watch the bear through my binoculars.

All week I have been looking forward to my guided fly fishing adventure provided by Xanterra. They started a fly fishing service this season. Clients are taken out individually or in groups up to five to some of the most pristine streams and rivers in the United States. I was to be client number six since the service’s inception earlier this week. All you need to do is show up with a Yellowstone fishing license. Xanterra and your guide provide all needed equipment.
My guide was Dave; a 15-year veteran of Yellowstone. We departed camp at 7:30 a.m. heading north into Geyser Country. Dave informed me early on our weather conditions from the previous night as well as current weather would not be perfect for fishing and fish simply might not be on the move.


While driving north temperatures decreased into the low 30s and snow was picking up. Conditions were so bad at points roads were being closed and we were forced to take an alternate route into the high country. Dave wanted me to try fishing the Firehole River. Not only is the Firehole a hot spot for trout, it is located in some of the prettiest scenery in Yellowstone. Along the Firehole are hot springs running into the river and thermal activity situated along its banks creating a constant steam overhead.

Remember me telling you Dave thought the weather conditions might play spoiler to our trip? Well, he was right! Turns out this wasn't Dave's first rodeo and he knew exactly what he was talking about. I didn’t even get a bite! We packed our gear out and headed farther north into the most secret fly fishing river in Yellowstone. It is so prestigious I won't even disclose the name or exact location. You must take a Xanterra guided fishing trip in order to find this stream! Trout can be seen here in the crystal clear water by the hundreds. The area doesn't look like much when compared to the Firehole, but it’s still beautiful in its own right.

Dave let me know all previous clients caught trout while he served as their guide. My enthusiasm never faltered. We were enjoying fishing where few people have even walked. I waded the clear waters in depths just above the knee. It is a prime spot for any level angler however climate conditions were not to our advantage.


I guess now is just as good a time to tell you. I have some good news and some bad news.
For the bad news...Dave and I didn't catch a single trout. Good news, I didn't get dirty cleaning fish! Seriously, I can't thank Xanterra and Dave adequately for providing me the experience of fishing Yellowstone. We were in premier waters and the most beautiful setting this world has to offer.


No trip to Yellowstone would be complete without dining at the famed Lake Hotel Restaurant. Xanterra, the concession management company in Yellowstone, operates the facility. I have become a connoisseur of fine game food. To my delight, Lake Restaurant specializes in game food. One can order a variety including vegetarian/organic main courses, traditional beef steak, seafood and my favorite – game.

I was offered the chance to sample the cold smoked wild Alaskan salmon which I happily obliged. It was delicious in every sense of the word. Next, I was served my main course which included elk medallions and lobster! Without reservation, it was the very best elk and lobster I have been served. My parents were served, at their request, beef tenderloin and all the trimmings. It too was a splendid choice. Although we were stuffed from our superb main course we had to opt for dessert. Take my advice, when dining at Lake Restaurant, you must try the cheesecake. It puts the famed Cheesecake Factory to shame! Hats off to the Lake Hotel Restaurant. What an enjoyable evening. Oh, did I mention our view was Lake Yellowstone? It doesn’t get any better than this.

Forever West,

Jeremy