Thursday, July 3, 2008

Buffalo Bill & a Bull’s leg to the Head


I told you I would get to the Buffalo Bill Historical Center and I have kept my word. I can honestly say, the BBHC is the largest museum I have ever been in. It is a must see! The center is so large that your ticket is redeemable over two consecutive days.

A bronze sculpture of Buffalo Bill Cody greets you at the front door. Upon entering the BBHC visitors get a sense of the larger than life atmosphere the staff has created. The center features five separate museums under one roof. The museums include: Plains Indian, Cody Firearms, Buffalo Bill, Natural History and the Whitney Gallery of Western Art as well as over 20 bronze sculptures situated around the center.

Jamie and I were in awe of the Plain Indian displays. The bald eagle is my favorite bird and to see the craftsmanship of Native American head-dresses, war bonnets and other authentic creations incorporating the bald eagle was a real treat for me. I could literally spend an entire day in the Plains Indian area alone and not see everything.

Check out the website for the BBHC and learn more about the 2500+ gun collection that makes up the Cody Firearms Museum. All firearms are beautifully displayed in rooms, wings, and hanging from the ceiling. It is a must see for all gun enthusiasts. I promise you that if it was made, it is on display. Guns dating back over 300 years grace the walls and visitors can read information about each individual item.

The Cody Firearms Museum was so large that my brain could no longer process the information I was taking in. I would venture to say it could easily take a week to get an adequate feel for all the guns on display.

The last area within the center we walked through was the Buffalo Bill Museum. Buffalo Bill, a “true friend to the Indians,” was an accomplished military scout who later set his sights on creating the Buffalo Bill Wild West Show. His creation of such show made the cowboy a true American hero while also employing numerous Native Americans in re-creations of various Indian wars. Thousands of memorabilia items from the show are now on display for visitors to enjoy. Among them are several silver show saddles weighing in at over 75 pounds.

Before I close, I do want to send out a report regarding a little injury I received last night while performing at the Cody Stampede in Cody, WY.

While protecting a fallen rider, I was hooked by a bull and forced to the ground. While still on the ground the bull’s hind leg caught me in the head and briefly knocked me out. I was able to stagger out of the arena with assistance. After being checked out by the Justin Sports Medicine a CT Scan was performed at the Cody Hospital.

Results show a concussion and a contusion. I did spend the night in the hospital last night but hope to be released today. I am currently awaiting the results of a second CT Scan.

Good news is I will be able to fight bulls at Cheyenne Frontier Days later this month.

Please pray for Jamie, our families, and me. I’ve been here before but I do know the toll it takes on family and loved ones.

Take Care,
Jeremy