Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A Cody Fourth

The 2008 Cody Stampede and Xtreme Bull events are now in the books.

Jamie and I had a great time in Cody despite my injuries taking me out of competition for the remainder of the week. As reported, I did have to make a trip to the West Park Hospital in Cody. I was admitted and ended up staying overnight for evaluation but was discharged just in time to watch the rodeo on Thursday. I can’t compliment the West Park staff enough for taking great care of Jamie and me.

I know they think I’m crazy because the entire time I was trying to talk the doctors into letting me to fight bulls upon my release. Well that didn’t happen but I am only out for ten days and will be good to go in time for Cheyenne Frontier Days. So, I’m excited about that.

We really want to thank everyone that came by and called to check on my status. The Cody Stampede committee went out of their way to ensure our needs were met. In rodeo, it’s not about the money or fame. The people make it worthwhile.

At our hotel a young lady introduced herself and thanked me for saving her brother. Turns out he was the rider trying to make his escape when I moved in to take the bull away. Helping your buddies is truly what cowboy protection/bullfighting is. Truth be told, she didn’t have to thank me. Like Donny Sparks said: “I was simply doing my job.” But it is nice when people recognize your sacrifice.

Due to the turn of events, Jamie and I weren’t able to make it back to the Buffalo Bill Historical Center. However, I can promise you the BBHC is worth the price of admission.

I was able to ride in the July 4th parade despite my injuries. Literally thousands of spectators turned out to see the parade and later returned to watch the spectacular fireworks display put on by the City of Cody.

We certainly enjoyed watching it with friends from the newly built hotel, The Cody. Without a doubt, The Cody is the finest lodging in town. The wood used for the interior was salvaged from the Old Faithful Inn in Yellowstone.

Congratulations to Wesley Silcox the 2008 Cody Stampede Rodeo Champion Bullrider as well as Zeb Lenham for capturing his first Xtreme Bulls win.

It was an honor to fight bulls with my lifetime hero, Donny Sparks. When he came to see me in the ER, I told him he was the reason for all of this. I don’t think he wanted to take credit for me being in the ER but he certainly knows he is the reason I dreamed of becoming a professional bullfighter.