Wednesday, July 16, 2008

CFD or Bust!


It’s getting to be that time of year again…time for Cheyenne Frontier Days. CFD is more than just the largest rodeo in the world; it is truly a “western celebration.”

Since I’m still recovering from my recent incident, I was in town this weekend to help kick off the 112th annual festivities.

My first appearance was 12 July when Jamie and I attended the 2008 CFD Queen Coronation Ball. Each year I get to promote CFD with two talented young ladies and this year is no exception. Miss Frontier Kari Ward and her Lady-In-Waiting Kim Kuhn were the featured guests of the first 2008 CFD event. It’s always exciting to see the queens receive their well earned trophy saddle, buckle and keys to a brand new Dodge Truck among other gifts. This year, my good friend Chris Brown from the Cheyenne Outback Restaurant catered the event. In the seven years I have attended the coronation I do believe this was the largest. Kudos to Col. Pond and the CFD Military Committee volunteers for putting on a first-class event. I would estimate 500+ were in attendance.

Jamie and I had plans to ride in the CFD Cattle Drive the following morning. Due to other commitments it did not work out. Nonetheless, the cattle drive is a great experience and always exciting. Over 700 cattle were driven down Hynds Boulevard some 10 miles before reaching the CFD arena. Spectators traveling Interstate 25 could see firsthand as real cowboys wrangled the cattle through Cheyenne

The public relations events that I do during CFD are numerous. It is not uncommon for me to appear at over 100 PR events in the ten days of action. It’s always a real treat to promote CFD and on Monday 14 July I had the opportunity to speak to 130 kids at Lebhart Elementary School. In Wyoming, everyone has a little cowboy spirit and it’s exciting to see the smile on young faces and excitement in their eyes when talking about watching the rodeo. Miss Frontier and her Lady-in-Waiting along with myself read a cute little cowboy story to the youngsters. Hopefully we appeared to be smarter than a fifth grader!

Every year during CFD it seems as if I am afforded the opportunity to participate in unique PR events. Last year, a couple of unique events were appearing on the nationally televised cooking show “Pressure Cook” with Ralph Pagano and being a contestant on the “Power of 10” with Drew Carey.

This year, I have already been invited to do a very unique PR event that I can’t stop thinking about. I am excited beyond words to tell you I will be the “Honorary Team Captain” for the Colorado Rapids major league soccer game on 27July! Visit www.coloradorapids.com to purchase your ticket for the 27July game when they battle Columbus at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park. Come out and watch with me and help rally the Rapids to victory.

To help promote frontier days and talk about bullfighting, I will be appearing on Denver’s News 7 with sports anchor Lionel Bienvenu 17July on the four o’clock news. On 18 July wake up a little early and catch me on Denver’s Fox 31 with “Good Day Colorado” host Steve Kelley as we create early morning buzz at 8am.

I will do my best to keep you up-to-date during Cheyenne Frontier Days. It’s going to be a busy ten days but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Be sure to stop by the Wyoming Tourism tent near the CFD Ticket Gate as I will be there signing pictures and handing out the ever popular Chris LeDoux Tribute DVDs.


Forever West,
Jeremy