Thursday, July 24, 2008

Wild, Wet & Western


CFD wouldn’t be complete if we didn’t get to play in the mud at least once. In the middle of the fifth performance we had our chance to get wet and wild. We were in the second of three sections of bulls when the bottom fell out. Believe it or not I don’t mind fighting bulls while it’s raining. It’s the next day when it’s muddy that I have to work a little harder to get my job done.

I have been busy this week with parades, news interviews, promo appearances and a host of other CFD events and I hope that you have been able to keep up through it all.

I sported my Rapids jersey on Monday and guess what? I took a hooking. Bullfighters typically wear the same outfit as it always seems that when we put on a new article of clothing we get hooked. I’m not totally superstitious but I will say 60% of the time a hooking happens. Nevertheless, it made a great picture and you can see it online at the Rapids official website. In addition, the Rapids had this to say...

Let the Sparks Fly: In a sport where only the strong survive, Jeremy Sparks has excelled. Jeremy is an eight-year veteran bullfighter in the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association as well as the Professional Bull Riders. He is the only professional bullfighter in the United States Air Force, serving as the Commandant of Cadets at the University of Wyoming. In true Rapids supporter fashion, he's been wearing a Rapids jersey all week as he has competed at Cheyenne Frontier Days, the world’s largest rodeo and western celebration. He also wears shin guards and soccer cleats when he competes. Fans will get the chance to see Jeremy in person this weekend, as he will be the Honorary Captain at the Rapids game this Sunday.

Jamie and I are excited for Sunday when I make my appearance as the Rapids “Honorary Captain” when they face off with Columbus at 7:30pm at Dick Sporting Goods stadium. It is really nice to have my family supporting my career choice and attending so many events with me. I know it’s going to be blast.

As for rodeo action, my good friend, and Wyoming Secretary of State Max Maxfield, came out to support our Wyoming cowboys and they didn’t disappoint! Bobby Welsh was successful turning in a 78-point ride. He has certainly been on fire this year and you can bet he will represent Wyoming at the 2008 National Finals Rodeo.

Relatively unknown Cheyenne cowboy, Tyrel Nelson is tied for the lead in the bareback riding with two-time world champion Bobby Mote. I hope Tyrel carries his momentum into round two and earns a spot in the championship round on Sunday. How exciting would it be for this young man to win his hometown rodeo?

Despite the hurricane in Texas, it looks as if CBS News will make the trip to Cheyenne and report live from the pancake breakfast on Friday. Tune into “The Early Show” and watch my live interview tomorrow.

Well I have to wash muddy clothes but thanks for stopping by.

It is “Tough Enough to Wear Pink” day and I have a special jersey just for that. I hope I don’t get hooked for wearing a new jersey but if I do it will be for a good cause. We hope to raise both money and awareness for the Susan G. Koman and TETWP Foundations. If you’re a cancer survivor, my hat’s off to you for fighting the good fight…and WINNING!

Forever West,

Jeremy